Friday, February 6, 2015

Well, today didn't kill me

So I did the client interview and the will write up and it went alright. I wasn't fabulous but I wasn't horrible. I could tell that he knew I was nervous at first but I calmed down and it went smoothly after the first few minutes.

Impressions:

  • That big old lawyer desk does make a person feel less like a kid playing dress up. I've never sat on that side of the desk before but it really did make me feel all official and stuff. 
  • My biggest worry was that he'd have a question that I wouldn't know the answer to. He did have questions but I did know the answers. Yay me! However, at least one or two, I wasn't allowed to answer because it would fall under legal advice. Awkward. 
  • Secretaries are awesome and I want my very own someday. I will buy them flowers and love them forever. 
  • I was aware that we'd be discussing private financial matters but I had no idea that he would just start talking about all these non-related family matters or personal tragedies. One thing I need to figure out is how to better respond to this. There is only so many times you can say, "I'm sorry to hear that." 
  • Actually, writing the will was easier than the client interview. Go figure since messing up the will was what I was the most worried about. 
Right after I wrote the will, I had a meeting with my R&W professor to go over my legal brief. That's the memo where I had no idea what I was doing or how it was supposed to go. Surprise surprise, I did not do very well. I knew I hadn't but it was still a hard to pill to swallow when it came down to it. This is the first time in law school that I was told that I am below where I should be. OUCH!!

It had to happen eventually. 




No comments:

Post a Comment