Saturday, March 8, 2014

Greedy? No. Just poor.

I realize this post has the potential to make me look like a jerk or stuck up, but I promise you that I am not!

I just received my second to last scholarship offer and it was looow. Tens of thousands of dollars lower than my next lowest offer. Considering the fact that it took this school months longer to make an admissions decision than my other schools plus such a low scholarship, I would expect it to be a reach school. As in a Tier 1, top of the ranking law school. Or at least have an impressive reputation or incredible programs not offered elsewhere. But no, it is a low ranked school without any special programs and it's tuition rate is one of the highest I have seen.

I don't get it.

I do not consider myself to be greedy and I do not think I am any more impressive than anyone else. (For Pete's sake, I wipe bottoms for a living!) but my stats are above their 75 percentile. So yes, I do find their scholarship offer slightly insulting.

Some people have wondered why I place scholarships as one of my main criteria in choosing a school but those are people who don't know me very well. I have always been poor. Food bank, free school lunch poor. I have family members who rely on me for financial support, and others who will soon. In addition, I am hoping to practice in an area that is not particularly well paid. It would be irresponsible of me to NOT consider scholarships and price of tuition as I make my law school decision.

I would love to go to the best law school I could get into and I truly did consider going that route. But I know I would regret it come graduation. So here I am. Considering total price and elder law programs over ranking. 
I just hope it's the right decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment