Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Buried under a mound of egg burritos

One of my favorite make ahead meals is egg burritos. Also known as garbage eggs because I add all my odds and ends from the fridge into the mix. Basically I make a crap ton of eggs for dinner and we roll the rest into tortillas and throw them into the freezer. BAM! Breakfast burritos for weeks!

Necessary Ingredients:

24 eggs
1lb bulk/roll sausage. Any kind. 
1 package O'Brien hash browns 
Cheese
Flour tortillas

Add in Ingredients:
Anything. Okay, almost anything. I've added onions, green onions, bacon or bacon bits, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, chicken, taco meat, and random peppers. Basically anything that is about to go bad or that I want to get rid of. It is always delicious. 

Directions:
Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Add a bunch of garlic powder, onion powder and a few shakes of red pepper. Right before sausage is done, add hashbrowns and more seasonings. Stir well and cook until hashbrowns are crispy. 

I get the best results when I add the hashbrowns before the sausage is completely cooked and then cook the potatoes until very brown. Add oil as needed. 

Whisk the two dozen eggs and pour into skillet. Reduce heat to medium low and let eggs set for a couple minutes. Then scramble as normal. 

Add salt, pepper and cheese. Let cheese melt and then serve. 

I occasionally serve this to guests and hear things like "Omg. These are the best eggs ever." Even when there are no add ins. I blame/credit the hashbrowns. 

Once we eat, I let the eggs cool a bit and lay tortillas all over my counter. I place a spoonful of eggs in the middle of the tortilla, add a sprinkle of cheese and roll up burrito style. 

Roll the burritos into some foil, place in a freezer ziplock bag and throw in the freezer. 

Micro instructions:
Remove foil and place on a microwave safe plate. Heat for 1 min 30 sec. Flip and repeat. Eat and love yourself for avoiding McDonald's. 



No comments:

Post a Comment