Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Strange Obsession

I'm not sure what is in the air but I have wanted to go camping so so bad for over a year now. I haven't gone in probably a decade but when I was a kid, we went camping a lot. And even when we didn't, my stepdad threw a tent up every summer for us kids and I would sleep outside pretty much every day from the middle of June until August.

If I could, I'd drop everything and go tonight. Unfortunately, two things are stopping me. One, I no longer have any gear and I don't have camping friends nearby to borrow from. Have you seen how expensive some of this stuff can be? The other thing stopping me is that my fiancé hates the idea of camping. It took me over a year of regularly bringing it up before he'd even consider it. And I had to bribe him. I think the only thing that finally got him to consent was I found a campground that is right on the beach and it has an off the leash dog park/beach. And it's close enough to our house that if it starts to rain, he could turn around and go home.

I could go two ways with this. Get the bare minimum that I personally would be fine with and probably never see Fiancé camp again. Or I could try this whole glamping thing and see if I can get him to actually like camping. I've been looking around Pinterest for ideas and it seems like small, inexpensive upgrades could make it a lot more fun for both of us. A little extra comfort, romantic lighting and cute touches I could bring from home seems doable.

I doubt we will be able to go anytime soon but I am going to start haunting craigslist to see if I can find some starter gear. Maybe if I start now, we can go next year. Besides, that'll give Fiancé some time to get used to the idea.

If you were a non-camper, what would make it more fun for you? And please don't say "staying at home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment