Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I feel like a Wizard

I'm not one of those super obsessed coupon queens. Every once in a while I'll go through and cut out the products I actually use but then I don't really go out looking to use them. If I'm planning on buying it anyway, most the time I go oh wait, I have a coupon for that. If instead I carry it around until it expires, well, I'm not too worried about it. I obviously didn't really need it now did I.

However, a few weeks ago, I was at CVS buying toothbrushes and saw that if I spent just a dollar more, I would get 6 dollars in extrabucks. Wasn't too sure how that worked so I googled it real quick and went, huh. It shows up on your receipt and you just spend it like cash. I can do that. So I just added some mouthwash and poof done. I'm sure they're betting that you'll either lose the receipt or forget to bring it with you before it expires but I just taped it to my wall by my door. You could also just leave it in your car.

So then I waited until I needed something that CVS carried. It ended up being mascara and so I went to see if my newspaper had any mascara coupons. Sure enough it did! Then I got excited about how cheap my mascara was going to be and thought, hmm. Wonder if CVS has an app. Of course it does, and if you download it, you get 5 dollars off. SCORE! So I grabbed my extrabucks and my coupon and off I went to go buy some makeup. While I was there, I saw that Covergirl (which I had a coupon for) had another extrabuck deal if I bought two eye products. It happens that I ran out of eyeliner a couple months ago so why not grab one of those too? Especially since I had too many coupons and not enough cost.

This is how it broke down.
$9.29 - Liquid eyeliner
$9.99 - Mascara
-$6.00 - Extrabucks
-$2.00 - Manufacture coupon from the Newspaper
-$5.00 - From downloading the app.
---------
So my total was $6.28 plus tax. But then, on my receipt I got another 5 dollars extrabucks! If I add that all up, I got 18 dollars off! Assuming I use it, I basically only spent 2 dollars and some change (because of tax) on 20 dollars of makeup. That's like dollar store prices on name brand stuff. Whoo hoo.

I'm not too worried about forgetting to use it because I have to go to CVS every 3 weeks to pick up my prescription anyway and extrabucks don't expire for a month. You don't have to spend any actual money in order to use it so if I'm cutting it close, I'll just grab it when I go to the pharmacy and pick up candy or soda or something. Sweet deal yo! Even if worse comes to worse and I don't use it, I still saved 13 dollars and I think that is a pretty sweet deal too.

I know there are people out there who would laugh at me because they manage to use so many coupons that their total is zero but I'm just not that serious about it. I also don't have the storage room to go and buy something if I don't need it right now.

But now that I know how FUN it is, I'm sure I'm going to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment