Saturday, November 22, 2014

Back Up Your Back Up!



Way back when, before I was a law student, my best friend was a 1L at the law school closest to us. And one day someone stole all of her notes. Just bam. Everything gone. And I remember her sobbing on my couch at three o'clock in the morning telling me she was going to drop out of law school to become a hobo.

So when it came time for me to start, I bought a ton of thumb drives and I backed up everything. Every day of class notes, every bit of research, everything. However, somewhere after the first month of school, my thumb drive became corrupted/damaged and it screwed up the files on my computer. I freaked. Straight up FREAKED. All those hours of notes just poofed. Now it eventually turned out okay and I managed to only lose a few days of notes and everything was fine. But it has made me paranoid. I have my computer pass coded and I back up my back ups. Oh, and I send myself an email with all of my class notes at the end of each week. Is it overkill? Absolutely. Does it help keep my stress level down? Oh yes. 

Today I was proofreading my memo and my computer crashed. I couldn't remember the last time I had saved the current draft but I knew that I had sent myself an email with it only a few hours before. So while my computer was rebooting, I went outside and played with my dog instead of having a nervous breakdown and forgetting how to breathe. 

Being paranoid isn't always a bad thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment