Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Oops - I did it again

I fell off the face of the earth again. In my defense, this last semester was pretty miserable and when it finally ended, I had two days to fly back to Washington State for my sisters wedding. Totally worth it but totally exhausting.

Not all that much has changed since I last wrote a blog post. I am still a law student but now I can call myself a rising 3L. ONLY ONE MORE YEAR!!! I did pretty much screw up my grades this last semester. Well, in my own special snowflake way. I didn't go below the curve (Thank you Jesus!) but I basically hit the curve for the first time. Sigh. I'd like to say it wasn't my fault or blame it on all my writing courses but honestly, I just didn't have much motivation to study. The class I did the worst in, should have been one of the easier classes but I allowed myself to get behind in the reading and then skipped the maximum allowed days of absences so I wouldn't be cold called on when I hadn't done the reading. I did catch back up of course but I didn't do a whole lot more than that. I cruised and it showed in my grades. My own fault.

I am working at a law firm this summer so I hope to God I get some actual experience under my belt because I feel completely out of my depth. I really like the firm and it's pretty much all Elder Law so I want to soak up as much information as I can. They aren't looking to add more associates so I unfortunately cannot turn this summer job into a permanent one but I'm just so excited to be working in Elder Law that I don't care. Plus I actually get paid this summer. WHEEEE.

Watching all the just graduated 3L's studying for the bar has really made me want to cherish my last year of law school. The bar prep company says that it's 8-10 hours a day, six days a week but everyone I've talked to says that is a lie. They've been studying 7 days a week, no breaks for over a month now and it just doesn't sound fun. Worth it because at the end, you get to practice law. But no fun all the same.

This coming up Fall semester will be interesting. I was accepted into the Elder Law clinic so I will only be taking half the classes but of course, will be working part time instead. I am trying to get as much experience as I can before I graduate and I'm excited about this clinic. I will be working with low income elders and will actually be practicing law!!!!! (Under the supervision of an attorney of course) How awesome is that?

All in all, life is going okay. Some bumps, some bruises but I'm still standing.

Can't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment